Note: this listing is for the knitting pattern only. No physical product is included in this purchase.
When designing this cowl, I wanted to capture the organic look and feel of flowers on the vine - so I avoided more traditional geometric colorwork motifs (other than the border) and worked with elements that would be more unpredictable, but create a more “natural” look. This was a challenge to do in worsted weight yarn - fewer stitches to play with than fingering! - but I love the final result of buds, flowers and leaves wandering about in unexpected places.
It is designed with Green Mountain Spinnery’s Mountain Mohair, a worsted weight blend of fine wool and mohair that offers beautiful jewel tones for you to mix and match many options, but you can substitute any worsted weight yarn.
This pattern includes colorwork charts for two size options, tall or short, with yardage allowances for both.
Difficulty level: Advanced beginner/intermediate
- knitting in the round
- reading a color work chart
- working in two colors
- catching floats.
Sizes (finished measurements after blocking):
- Adult Tall (one size): approximately 24” in circumference, and 11” tall
- Adult Short (one size): approximately 24” in circumference, and 9” tall
- Tall version: 155 yards of colorway Spice, 60 yards of colorway Claret
- Short version: 140 yards of colorway Wintergreen, 55 yards of colorway Edelweiss
Note that the Tall Version of this cowl will use more than 1 skein of Mountain Mohair for main color, and the Short Version will use a full skein when gauge is met; please plan accordingly.
- 21 stitches and 24 rounds = 4” x 4” in color work pattern
- US size 7 needle
Purchase includes a link to download the pdf of this pattern after your order confirmation is completed.